Design: Hélène Magnússon
Where do you find inspiration? Do you associate some colors with some people? Even people you never actually met? That is what happened to me when American youtuber Kristy Glassknits came to Iceland: we didn´t meet because I was away on a knitting tour but I had my studio opened for her and she knitted her first lopi sweater for her daughter after my Gamaldags pattern. During her stay in Iceland, she participated in a sheep round up where family and friends traditionally wear lopi sweaters, and noticed there was no pink sweater to see! So when I stumbled on the leftover stock of the discontinued bright pink shade of plötulopi from Ístex, I bought it all and designed a sweater with Kristy in mind. Knitted with one strand of pink plötulopi together with 1 strand of my very fine Icelandic lace Love Story in Salmon orange, the cardigan is knitted on very big needles with a loose gauge, it´s super light and super quick to knit. For the yoke, I draw a delicate flowerpot motif, easy to knit with short floats and never more than 2 colors at a time in the round. But I went completely over the top with the colors and associated the already flashy pink/orange blend with a turquoise, a dash of white, and a bling bling yellow from Einrúm (lopi + silk) to add a bit of sparkle! The cardigan is relatively fitted, a bit cropped with sleeves that stop at the wristbone. Despise all that, it´s a true lopapeysa, knitted the Icelandic way from the bottom up and steeked!
Cropped fitted cardigan (steeked). Fit: zero ease at bust. Sample shown is a size M.
Bust: 76(86.5,92,108)116,121.5,135.5(145.5,153.5) cm/ 30(34,36¼,42½)45½,47¾,53(57¼,60¼)”
Neckline: 44(46.5,49.5,49.5)49.5,52,52(54.5,54.5) cm / 17¼(18¼,19½,19½)19½,20½,20½(21½,21½)”
Body length to underarm: 24(25,26,27)28,28,29(29,30) cm / 9½(9¾,10¼,10¾)11,11,11½(11½,11¾)”
Yoke depth at back: 21.5(22,22.5,23.5)24.5,24.5,26.5(27,27) cm / 8½(8¾,8¾,9¼)9¾,9¾,10½(10¾,10¾)
Sleeve length to underarm: 42(43,43,44.5)44.5,45.5,45.5(47,47) cm / 16½(17,17,17½)17½,18,18(18½,18½)”
Upper arm: 25(26.5,28,30.5)34.5,40,44(46.5,50.5) cm/ 10(10½,11,12)13¾,15¾,17¼(18¼,20)”
Wrist: 18.5(18.5,18.5,21.5)21.5,24,24(24,24) cm / 7¼(7¼,7¼,8½)8½,9½,9½(9½,9½)”
Gauge: 10 cm / 4” = 15 sts and 20 rows in Stocking st on 7 mm / US 10¾ needle with Plötulopi and Love Story held together.
MC = 1 strand of Plötulopi and 1 strand of Love Story held together
- Plötulopi from Ístex, 100% new wool, unspun, approx. 110g plate = 330 m/360 yds: bright pink, 2(2,2,3)3,4(4,4) plates,
- Love Story Einband from Hélène Magnússon, pure new wool, 100% Icelandic lambswool, fine lace weight, 1 ply, 25 g skein = 225 m / 246 yds: 3(3,3,4)4,5,6(6,6) skeins, shade Salmon orange
CCs: any Aran weight wool yarn
- CC1 and CC3: Léttlopi from Ístex, 100% new wool, unspun with light twist, Aran weight, 50 g ball = 100 m / 109 yds: #1404 (glacier turquoise) 1(1,1,1)1,2,2(2,2) skeins #0051 (white) 1 skein in all sizes
- CC2: Einrúm L+2 (lopi + silk), 92% new Icelandic wool, 8% Thai silk, Aran weight, 50 g ball = approx. 93 m / 102 yds: #2012 (yellow) 1(1,1,1)1,1,2(2,2) skeins
Yardage used (estimation)
- MC: 486(531,565,726)820,1058,1166(1272,1380) m /486(531,565,726)820,1058,1166(1272,1380) yds
- CC1: 52(57,60,78)88,113,124(136,147) m / 57(63,66,86)96,124,136(149,161) yds
- CC2: 38(41,44, 56)63,81,90(98,106) m / 47(51,55,69)78,100,111(121,131) yds
- CC3: 45(49,52,67)76,98,108(118,128) m / 50(54,57,74)83,107,118(129,140) yds
Color combinations offered for the kits:
- original combo with lighter pink: pink plötulopi 1425 + Love Story Salmon orange, Einrúm L 2012 (CC2), Léttlopi 1404 (turquoise)(CC1) and 0051 (white)
- (milder pink combo: pink plötulopi 1425, Love Story Old pink, Einrúm L 2001 (CC3), Léttlopi 1702 (milkyway) (CC1) and 1703 (mimosa)(CC2)
- yellow combo: plötulopi 1424, Love Story Anis, Einrúm L 2015 (CC3), Léttlopi 1705 (fushia)(CC1) and 1414 (violet heather)(CC2)
Other material: 8 or 9 buttons.
Needles: 6 and 7 mm / US 10 and 10¾ circular needles, 60 or 80 cm / 24 or 32” long. Magic loop is used for smaller diameters but you can also use double-pointed needles. Note that not all brands carry the US 10¾ needle size.
Crochet hook 5 mm / US H-8.
Notions: darning needle, markers, stitch holders or scrap yarn (or spare needle same size or finer than largest needle). Sewing machine for the steek.
Techniques: Knitting in the round, stranded knitting, rib, steeking. The cardigan is worked seamlessly in the round from the bottom up. First the body and the sleeves are knitted, then they are combined on one needle, leaving stitches on hold for the underarm. The yoke is knitted in the round in stranding knitting and the back of the neck is lifted with short rows. The cardigan is steeked.
Kit: the kit contains a little project bag and enough wool to complete the cowl but not the needles or the other material. The kit doesn’t include the pattern PDF that must be purchased separately. Shipping costs are not included
Shipping and returns: see Terms & conditions here.