Design: Hélène Magnússon
Yule lads will then leave in the same order they came, one by one. That is why Xmas lasts 26 days in Iceland with Kertasníkir leaving the last on January 6th.
This pattern was first published in my Icelandic Yarn Club 2 on December 24th 2019 and was exclusive to the Club for a year. The pattern is now available to everyone!
Size: one size, approx. 40 cm / 16” tall
Gauge: gauge is important for the doll to be tight enough and for the clothes to fit. If you knit too loose it will also affect the yardage needed and you may run out of yarn.
10 cm / 4” = 19 sts x 26 rows in St st on 3.5 mm / US 4 needle with Léttlopi. Change needle size accordingly to obtain the correct gauge and change larger needle accordingly.
- Léttlopi from Ístex: 100% new wool, unspun with light twist, Aran weight, 50 g ball = 100 m / 109 yds
- Plötulopi from Ístex: 100% new wool, unspun, approx. 110 g plate = 330 m / 360 yds
- Einband from Ístex, new wool (70% Icelandic), lace/light fingering, 50 g ball = 250 m / 272 yds
- Love Story Einband from Hélène Magnússon: pure new wool, 100% Icelandic lambswool, fine lace weight, 1 ply, 25 g skein = 225 m / 246 yds
- Einrúm E by Kristin Brynja 80% new wool (70% Icelandic) and 20% Mulberry Thai Silk, 50 g skein = 208 m / 227 yds
- MarEik 25A by Hilma: 75% new wool (pure Icelandic wool undyed), 25% SeaCell TM, 50 g skein = 145 m / 158 yds
The doll shown was knitted with:
- MC (body): Léttlopi mustard #9469: 45-50 g (28 g used)
- CC1 (face and hands): Léttlopi straw #1418: approx. 15 g (9 g used)
- CC2 (socks): Plötulopi 1 strand light grey #1026 + 1 strand dark grey #9102, held together: 20 g (12 g used)
- CC3 (vest): Plötulopi 1 strand dark brown #1033 + 1 strand Love Story Natural brown, held together: 20g (13 g used).
- CC4 (hat): Einrúm E red #1016: 5 g (3 g used)
- CC5 (shoes): MarEik 25A (lopi +seaweed) in different undyed colors: approx. 10 g (6 g used)
- Lenghts of Einband Ístex: pink #9171, black #0059 and white #0851 to embroider the face.
- Carded Icelandic wool, white: approx. 50 g
- Icelandic lambswool fleece: a lock.
- Wooden pin
Needles: 3.5 and 6 mm / US 4 and 10 circular needles, or size to obtain the gauge. The Magic loop technique is used but you can also use double-pointed needles. 3 mm/US D-3 crochet hook
Other materials: wood pin (for the neck), optional birthday candles (not in the kit: theoretically, your doll should be stealing them from you…).
Notions: darning needle, markers, safety pins or little st holders, contrasting yarn or spare needle.
Techniques: Knitting in the round, increases and decreases. Loop cast on, provisional cast on.
Pattern: Once you’ve made your paiement, you will receive an email with a link to download the pattern PDF. Your PDF will also always be accessible on your Icelandic Knitter account: simply log in and go under Downloads. We don’t send printed patterns by snailmail.
Errata: no mistake was found in this pattern.