Design: Hélène Magnússon
This vest is inspired by old Icelandic shoe-inserts decorated with a Hammer rose. Same motif is repeated making a continuous pattern out of one insert-motif.
Pattern is from my book Icelandic Intarsia Knitting. The book preserves an old Icelandic knitting tradition that had almost been lost. First half is a study of traditional rose-pattern insert knitting in Iceland. Inserts or rose-pattern inserts are knitted insoles that were worn in soft shoes made of fish skin or sheepskin. Second half are contemporary designs all based of old shoe-inserts. I have tried to remain true to the original color schemes of the inserts I chose, and the traditional methods used in making them (Icelandic intarsia, i.e. intarsia knitting in garter stitch).
Sizes: S (M, L, XL)
Finished bust: approx. 99(104.5,111,122) cm / 39(41¼,43¾,48)”
Length: approx. 54(55,58,59) cm / 21¼,22¾,22¾,23¼)”
Sample shown is a size S and is knitted with Ístex Einband (most colors have been discontinued)
Einband from Ístex, 100% new wool (70% Icelandic wool, 30% other wool), light fingering, 1 ply, 50 g skein = 225 m / 246 yds (note that many colors were discontinued).
- white 0851: 3(3,4,4) skeins
- black 0059: 2 skeins
- violet 9933: 1 skein – can be replaced by 9142 or 9020
- bright red 0078 (discontinued): 1 skein – can be replaced by 1770
- green 9823 (discontinued): 1 skein – can be replaced by 1764
- yellow 0995 (discontinued): 1 skein – can be replaced by 9028
For a very light and airy vest, you can also use: Love Story Einband from Hélène Magnússon, pure new wool, 100% Icelandic lambswool, fine lace weight, 1 ply, 25 g skein = 225 m / 246 yds
Color combination shown (Ístex Einband/Love Story):
– white 0851/Natural white: 3(3,4,4) skeins
– black 0059/Raven black: 2 skeins
– violet 9933/Thyme purple: 1 skein
– bright red 0078/Volcanic red: 1 skein
– green 9823/ Westfjord green: 1 skein
– yellow 0995/ Sulfur yellow: 1 skein
Gauges: 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4” in garter st and intarsia technique = 19 sts and 42 rows with 4 mm / US 6 and 18 sts and 38 rows with 4.5 mm / US 7
Needles: 4 mm / US 6 for size S, 4.5 mm / US 7 for sizes M and L
3 mm / D-3 crochet hook
Notions: sewing needle for darning
Pattern: Once you’ve made your paiement, you will receive an email with a link to download the pattern PDF. We don’t send patterns by snailmail.
Errata: No mistake has been found in this pattern