Knitting a swatch is something many of us knitters are are reluctant to do but swatching doesn't have to be boring! This colorful glasses or pencils case will teach you how to make short rows with yarnovers, with wrapped yarn overs and floatting is in reality the swatch you ought to make if you are going to knit my Lopi Affection Icelandic sweater! It will be helpful to:
- Check your gauge and ensure the sweater fits perfectly.
- Learn and practice short rows, using yarn overs, wrapped yo and what I call “stranded yo", a method I figured out especially to make this sweater design possible without too much ends to darn (or “univented” as EZ would put it).
- Optionally practice the Icelandic steek on your swatch, far less frightening than on a whole sweater!
- Choose the best color combination with your 3 favourite colors , out of the 58 shades of Léttlopi available… and of course since you can use any suitable DK of equivalent weight it makes the possibilities absolutely endless!
- And finally you will learn the four needles bind-off!
You can join the Ravelry Swatch KAL and show off your colors plus a chance to win a kit in the colors of your choice until November 10th!
LYS, if you are interested in using this tutorial or teaching a class using this pattern, please contact me prior.
EDIT: this pattern used to be free but because of copyright violations, I decided to have it for sale for 1 symbolic €. Of course it is free with the Lopi affection pattern: it is the swatch you ought to make after all!
Hélène Magnússon is a leading knit designer in Iceland, the author of many books about traditional Icelandic knitting and the editor of The Icelandic Knitter. She likes to put a new spin on Icelandic traditions. She began her professional life as a lawyer in Paris before she made a complete life change and moved to Iceland, where she studied textile and fashion at Iceland Academy of the Arts and worked as a hired girl in a sheep farm and a mountain guide. The varied skills she learned in those early years richly inform the hiking and knitting tours she passionately guides in collaboration with tour operator Icelandic Mountain Guides.